Sunday 17 April 2016

Birding in the dry forest

The valley that the hotel was situated in was amongst some classic Costa Rican dry forest, and soon become my birding patch for the next fortnight.

Many new species were added just birding the same transit, even adding new birds on the final days of my stay.

Got lucky one morning when a group of White-throated magpie jays disturbed a pair of Spectacled Owls........




































Swainson's Thrushes were fairly numerous, often in small flocks too.  These were one of my favourites birds to see.  Probably because I have been lucky enough to see several in the UK now, but never this close.






Inca Doves blended in well amongst the foliage.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Hawky

    Just planning a non birding holiday to Costa Rica. One weeks tour and one week at the Riu Palace. Week one looks great but I was a bit concerned about week two. Your blog has given me hope. Great pictures, I will be happy if I can get similar. Thanks for the info.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete